Friday, March 14, 2008

A minor setback...God i'm an idiot...

They say lessons are best learned the hard way. Well, i'm in the process of learning a very hard lesson...The lesson of why you should regularly backup your information on the computer you store ALL your information on....

Recently my trusty MacBook's Hardrive decided to give up the ghost for no apparent reason. My wife was using it one minute then all of a sudden got the dreaded permanent colored pinwheel and was unable to restart, logout, or do anything on the computer. She did a forced shutdown and upon restart all that comes up is a blank grey screen. No Apple logo, no spinning icon, no nothing. Dead. Tried everything I could think of to fix the problem (First aid via Disk Utility, booting up in Safe Mode, Resetting the PRAM and Power Module, etc.) and still...nothing. Made an appointment with a "Mac Genius" and of course the prognosis was that the hard drive took a dump. The good news...my comp is still under warranty so they'll fix it for free. The bad news...I never backed up any of the information on this comp since I got it in August. Ah what fun.

The only info that is on there that I "need" are the pics that I use for this blog. I have a pretty large backlog of foodie pics that I've taken that I still need to post reviews of. So, I tried using Apple's Target Disk Mode to access the information on my MacBook from a friend's MacBook Pro, but no luck. So, today I visited a data recovery place that specializes in Macs over in Santa Monica. Unfortunately, it's rediculously expensive to recover data so i guess i'm just gonna have to count the pics as a loss and use it as an excuse to revisit the places I had pics of. Luckily, there are still pics from a few places that are still on my phone since I had been kinda busy recently (read: lazy) and hadn't gotten a chance to upload them to my MacBook. It's a blessing in disguse really because they're some places that I was looking forward to reviewing like Baby Cakes Baking Company in Torrance, CA, Patisserie Chantilly in Lomita, CA, and The Spoon House in Gardena, CA. Unfortunately, it'll be a little while before i'll be able to get my MacBook back, download the pics, and write those posts so stay tuned, and sorry for the delay. I guess now i'll have to go out and buy an external drive and back up all my stuff...

2 comments:

Blue Ryder said...

Ouch, that hurts a little, no? Our computer was going to take a crap dive too, and for a while I was unable to upload anything, and and we couldn't log onto the internet without it crashing. The freakishly tall husband did some voodoo, and TADA, its apparently working now...

But not without my hesitation. My foot is currently residing next to a brand new hard drive that's whirring away with upload chatter.

Good luck!!

ATChipmunk said...

Thanks BR.
Hurts a little? More like a LOT. Dropped it of at the Mac store to have the drive replaced (at least it's covered by warranty) but there was no luck salvaging the info. Years of pics, etc lost. Every day I remember more pics that were in there that I can't replace (and not just foodie pics either) and it bums me out. I have no one to blame but myself though. Shoulda been backing up my shiet al along. That'll teach me...:(